With shopping, cooking, parties to attend, travel, etc., time tends to get tight. One thing that’s easy to brush off during the season is our workouts. My strategy is to crank up my workouts so I can be merry and eat and drink what I want. Thus, I partake and relax knowing this will keep me from putting on the 5 to 10 pounds many people do during this festive season.
What a great reason to train in the comfort of your own home and avoid all the time wasted if you had to go to the gym. Think about it. Commuting, parking, dealing with checking in and going in and out of the locker room, waiting for the equipment you want to use, etc. I live 15 minutes from my gym but when I add up the total time, it’s easily an hour or more down the drain.
Maximizing Your Body Position
This is the strategy. When I certify fitness instructors and personal trainers on the Total Gym I would give them this advice: “Instead of worrying about elaborate choreography and having your client change body positions after every exercise, maximize the body position they are in.”
How many body positions are possible on the Total Gym?
I’m glad you asked!
1. Seated forward (towards the tower)
2. Seated backward (towards the base)
3. Kneeling (your buns on your heels) and high kneeling (buns up) forward
4. Kneeling (your buns on your heels) and high kneeling (buns up) backward –
***Although this position is great to challenge your balance, I highly recommend you have a spotter with you and heed great caution as the resistance wants to pull you backward
5. Seated laterally right and left
6. Kneeling and high kneeling laterally right and left
7. Lying face up inclined – Head towards tower
8. Lying face up inverted – Head towards the base
9. Lying face down – Head towards the tower
10. Lying face down – Head towards the base
11. Side lying right and left
12. Lastly, standing at the base with the squat standoff. Forward, backward, right and left
WOW! Now you can grasp why your Total Gym is so versatile and leads to efficient and effective workouts with little wasted time. Hey, more time to shop, party, and enjoy the holidays!
Check out the video as I highlight this strategy with #7 and #8 above that are highlighted.
Check back as I will be going over the rest of the positions each month so you can maximize this strategy. If you’re like me, you’ll be astonished at the vast amount of exercises you can take advantage of on this genius, yet simple machine.
As I tell my instructors and personal trainers during their certification process, give me any piece of equipment on any gym floor and I guarantee we can do it on the total gym!
I love this stuff and I’d love to hear from you so keep the comments and questions coming!